Monday, October 13, 2008

1st Entry

Well after a long and arduous wait, I've decided to go ahead with my Weight Loss Project/Experiment.

1st thing First is what i intend to do.

I've always dreamed to be thin. Dreamed if i could be smart. Dreamed if only I have the body and looks of someone else with a genious brain and with my personality. Sounds silly but hey, it doesn't kill to be envious of the skinny and brainy people.

I used to think that the army will slim me down and my looks will change etc. And infact it did.

I weighed 86kg and was 1.73m tall. I wore size 36-38 pants and shirts that are XL. Shall post a past picture of me in the next post.

After BMT, I came out with 76kg and could fit into size 34 pants. I was estatic about the fact that I could actually fit into the pants I wore during Secondary 2. Recieved compliments about, "Wow couldn't recognise you at first!";"You slimmed down so much! OMG";"You getting slimmer and slimmer!". Haha its true that Singaporeans can't be praised. I got complacent and started gourging on trash food and my belly came back. All I wanted to do was to maintain my weight and leave it at that.

After i started my Braces treatment, i actually slimmed down for a few weeks because of the limitations on the food i could eat. But, i got used to having the braces in my mouth and now i can eat almost anything. Started to eat irresponsibly and back came my belly again.

And now I want to lose weight. I figured my total body fat % is around 30%(?) and i intend to reduce it to 20% as a short term goal. I'm not doing this for any girl or what but i'm just unhappy with the way i'm going if i don't do anything about it. It wasn't easy for me to lose that 10kg from BMT and i'm not going to bounce back.

Luckily for me, I got to know this friend of mine in my unit and he's aspiring to be a Body Builder. So i got tips on exercise and how to train etc. from him. It's only until recently that he brought up the topic on dieting and how important it is in order to lose weight.

I'm not talking about eating less for each meal, or skipping mealsetc. Sure, anyone can lose some weight from that, but they will gain it back as fast. Its a fact. I'm talking about spreading my meals into 6 meals a day. Gone are the terms breakfast, lunch and dinner. These 6 meals constitutes the amount of carbhydrate, protein, fats and other essential nutrients that i require

in a day. I'm aiming for a rough estimate of 2000cal intake per day and you might ask why 6 meals a day? Won't you eat more and grow fatter? Why can't i just eat normally?

A simple google on "6 Meals" will answer most of the questions. But I will try to explain it simply.
Spreading out the food intake to 6 meals a day maximises the body's metabolism rate. When your metabolism rate is high, you will burn more calories. The aim here is to burn as much calories as possible and burning calories = burning fat.

The amount of calories burnt should be more than the amount taken in through meals. And thus the meals are all healthy meals.

Being a lazy person, i'm lazy to count the calories. LOL. I will however eat whatever that is healthy in a moderate and controlled amount. As i'm still fat at the moment, counting the amount of calories in the food isn't really that important. It would be if i'm having problem losing the extra kilos to reach my aim. Then at that point of time i would probably have to choice to start counting them.

1st step to my project is: To plan.
My inspiration is from Lock, my army friend that i mentioned earlier and my goal as for now is to reach his stage. I will make my own meals for the next few months and try as much as possible to stick to it. Staying clear of fast food, and sweet drinks and tibits are part of the plan.
No more late night suppering for me. Lesser coffee. More exercise.
For planning how to settle the meals when i have duty, i'm still in the midst of planning.

2nd step: To prepare.
I'm going to take some measurements of my body. Namely a few points.
Thigh circumference.
Waistline circumference.
Arm circumference.
And my weight using the ancient weighing scale i have at home haha. Next is to prepare what to eat.

I went to the market just now and this is what i bought.

I've still got some stuff that i need to buy but thats i guess i can take it slowly from here.

Spent $25 on all this. The Cereal is for breakfast on days which i have duty, so that i won't have to bring so many meals into camp.

3rd step: To do.
Simple. I'm gonna do some exercise =D and eat properly from now on.

Well i'm not going to give up that easily. Its said that it takes 21 days for someone to stick to habit and in this case, losing weight. Lets see if i can stay on for the full 21 days =D

Wish me luck!

No comments: